Somewhere along the way you've probably consumed something that has the South Indian spice Turmeric, the golden hued ingredient which is found in many Southeast Asian dishes, but have you ever thought about adding it your skin care routine?
- Turmeric is high in antioxidants that slow down cell damage [source].
- It’s widely used as a skin exfoliant and improves the texture of skin [source].
- It helps with inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne, dry skin, psoriasis, and eczema [source].
- It helps reduce pigmentation and even out the skin tone [source].
- It is also said to diminish wrinkles [source].
Ready to mix up your own for gorgeous glowing skin! Below find a easy DIY recipe and step-by-step directions by Taste of Home to make your own Turmeric Face Mask.
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of organic honey
- 1 teaspoon milk or yogurt
Step 1: Mix
In a small bowl, mix the turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar, honey and milk or yogurt. You’re going for a paste-like consistency that will stick to your face without dripping.
Before applying your turmeric face mask, wash and dry your face to remove any makeup or impurities. Keep in mind that turmeric will turn fabric yellow; so consider putting on an old shirt that you don’t mind getting stained during your turmeric spa session.
Apply the mask using your fingers or a makeup brush, careful to avoid the eye area.
Step 3: Rest
Allow the mask to sit on your face for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 4: Rinse
Rinse off the mask with warm water. You can also use a washcloth; but remember, it will get stained. Speaking of staining, don’t be alarmed if your skin is still looking a little yellow after you remove the mask. The turmeric might temporarily stain your skin if you’re pale, but it will go away in a few hours. You can also use a simple cleansing oil to get rid of the yellowish hue.